What is Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS)?
- PBIS is a systemic approach to proactive, school-wide discipline based on a Response to Intervention(RtI) model
- PBIS applies evidence-based programs, practices, and strategies for all students to increase academic performance, improve safety, decrease problem behavior, and establish a positive school culture.
- Data-based decision making is a hallmark of PBIS, allowing successes to be easily shared with all relevant stakeholders
What Kinds of Outcomes Result from PBIS?
- Reduced office discipline referrals.
- Decreased use of reactive, punishment-based consequences
- More time spent on academic instruction, less time spent on misbehaviors in the classroom.
- Improve school climate.
BDHS PBIS Focus
- Be Respectful
- Be Responsible
- Be Safe
- Be on Time
Ten Things You Can Do To Improve Behavior
- Praise children often
- Greet children positively
- Build relationships
- Be consistent
- Have a predictable routine
- Clarify and communicate your expectations
- Allow time to express thoughts and feelings
- Support good social skills at home and school
- Find strengths in ALL children
- Get support from others
PBIS focuses on connecting home with school. Feel free to connect with administration if you have any comments, questions, or ideas regarding PBIS!